Want to get more fit and healthy? Without a doubt, there’s an app for that.
At least that’s how it seems. Whether you want to lose weight, drink more water, stand more often, or even get to bed earlier, the App Store is filled with tons of choices that can help you to establish healthier habits. Moreover, according to a recent study those who use health and fitness apps are more active and have a lower BMI (body mass index) than those who don’t.
With all the thousands of choices available and knowing storage space on your phone or tablet is at a premium, you’re probably as picky as I am about what you download. So, here are 5 choices that are definitely worth checking out.
1. MyFitnessPal. This ultra-popular diet and activity app was purchased by Under Armour in 2015 and continues to be a client fav because you can log your food and workouts all in one place. It also boasts a database of over 5 million foods, a nutrition barcode scanner and even allows you to save time by importing your recipes right into the app.
2. Couch to 5k. How about starting the New Year strong with a 5k run? This app will help get you ready and all it takes is just 30 minutes, 3 days per week for 9 weeks. This could be just what you need to stay on track and avoid the holiday weight gain this coming season.
3. Fabulous. This Google Play app of the year is designed to make you feel, well, fabulous! It takes a holistic approach to coaching the overall habit of well being and self-care, and guides you to focus yourself in the areas you need it most like drinking enough water, sleeping, moving more during the day, etc. It’s not available for iOS yet (just Android), but it’s coming soon so sign up for the Beta.
4. Map My Run. If you’re serious about getting outside for your runs (or walks) you’ll want this app. Aside from features like community challenges and food logging the most powerful aspect is that not only does it track routes you create, it can also help you find routes around your city, too. This is especially handy for travelers because you can get your workout and enjoy exploring cool areas around the city you’re visiting at the same time.
5. Calm. Who doesn’t need a moment of zen every day? This app helps you to do just that with guided meditation and sleep stories that run 3 to 25 minutes long. Whether it’s to start your day feeling centered and inspired, pausing a few moments to relieve stress during the day, or relaxation and unwinding time in the evening, it’s important to take a few moments to refresh and care for your mind regularly, too
What apps help you to make healthy changes or to stay on track with your self-care? Leave us a comment. We’d love to know!